Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wow, I've had the privelege for four months now to homeschool my 2 children. People often ask me, "Do you still like it?", "Is it hard?" , "Are you still glad you pulled them out of public school?" My answer to all ofthese is always a truthful "YES!" I just LOVE homeschooling my children. I always thought I knew them, but I truly know them now in a way that is indescribable. The look in their eyes when they finally grasp that math concept, the curiosity about different animal species, or the pride they have when they finish an essay is such a gift. I feel guilty sometimes that I didn't celebrate these things with them before when I wasn't their teacher. I really missed out on some good moments with them. BUT I do know that they were where God wanted them the last few years at Magnolia Elementary and that we were very blessed to be at a school with people who truly cared for them.

I think the hardset question to answer is , "Is it hard?"..... and my answer is always a huge YES, but I always tell people that I like it that way and I'm in no way shape or form ready to quit. I knew it would be hard. I think alot of peple thought I would give up..and truthfully, they had good reason to think that. There are moments of frustration, impatience, tears, pride, confusion, and grumbles on both sides...BUT what out weighs these moments are the moments of joy, grace, humbleness, understanding, hope, cries of accomplishments, and celebrating successes.

I've learned that I don't know everything that they "need" to learn according to the state, but I have learned with them the things that I don't know and have the gift of making learning exciting and teaching the way God intended. I have learned that its not about test scores or where others think the kids should grade academically or trying to do every single project out there. When they show an interest in something, I research how to teach it and we learn together. My kids have a whole new door that has opened for them and are learning so much more than public school offered or even I offered before. I am so very proactive in their life now and I know they are learning not only academics, but life skills.

My hope and prayer is that even though there will be times of despair and confusion, we as a family will continue to "genuinely bloom" during this grand adventure......

No comments:

Post a Comment